Monday, September 25, 2017

The beautiful #VisualAbstracts of the NEJM

This summer (I think) the NEJM began publishing visual abstracts on their twitter feed. Curiously, I was unable to find them on the page of the article that the visual abstracts references, or in the list of media types that you can search for.

The figure list on the right side does not include the striking visual abstract they created.


The "Browse Figures and Multimedia page has 19 different types of media, but visual abstract is not one of them.

The only way I could round up the visual abstracts was scrolling through the the NEJM Twitter feed. Here are the ones I found. Did I miss any?













Gorgeous work. Each one has a unique color palette and they have a pretty simple template, but three different ways of executing it. All of them look like they are from the same family except the tiotropium visual abstract. I really like that they give both the percentages and the raw numbers. No P-values or confidence intervals are found. These visual abstracts have as low an information density as I have seen. This is not a criticism, I think meh style has been increasing complexity to the detriment of my work. I need to turn up my inner NEJM.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...