Sunday, July 6, 2014

#NephJC this Tuesday, we dive into MesoAmerican Nephropathy

Readers of PBFluids know that I have been on the uric acid is the source of hypertension and hypertensive nephropathy beat ever since Richard Johnson came to the Townsend to speak at a gout symposium. Johnson's lecture on the link between uric acid and hypertension is the single best lecture I have ever seen.

Before that lecture I thought I was a pretty good lecturer, that lecture taught me that I was a baby. I knew nothing. If you ever get a chance to hear Dr. Johnson, move heaven and earth to hear him, he is amazing.

You can see some of my posts relating to uric acid, fructose and kidney disease here:
Though not covered extensively on PBFluids one of the most interesting stories in nephrology for the last year has been the emergence of a newly recognized epidemic of renal disease in Central America. I first learned about it following this tweet:


and I was recently reminded about this when this tweet crossed my stream:


Here is a close up of the only country in the world where Nephritis and nephrosis is the leading cause of death, Nicaragua.


The one time I blogged about this. Though I haven't been fastidious about the MesoAmerican Nephropathy beat, eAJKD has:
Interestingly, these two intrigues subjects, the toxicity of uric acid/fructose and MesoAmerican Nephropathy collided in a recent editorial by Richard Johnson et. al. This editorial is the subject of this week's NephJC on Tuesday, July 8th at 9:00 Eastern.

The article is a perspective review titled: Hyperosmolarity drives hypertension and CKD-water and salt revisited. (PMID: 24802066)

I was told that Nature Reviews Nephrology was going to make the article open access and it was a few weeks ago but for now it is closed. Make nice to your local medical librarian.

More background and a summary of the article tomorrow.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...