Friday, March 8, 2013

Cool Wikipedia page of the day: Hickam's Dictum. Updated.

Imagine for a moment, a patient with hypertension and galactorrhea. The patient is on risperidone, a notorious cause of galactorrhea. So the patient has hypertension and drug induced galactorrhea. But Occam's Razor is irritating my brain. There must be a single diagnosis that ties these two symptoms together. Could she have a pituitary tumor causing Cushing's disease and a prolactinoma? So I turn to my global and highly educated consulting crew, Twitter:
I received a few great responses:
and
Hickam's Dictum. I'd never heard of it even though Hickam ultimately became Dean of Indiana University, where I did residency.
For a long time I've wanted a counter argument to Occam's Razor and now I have one. Thanks Jimmy Wales!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...